12.14.2010

The Day After

Monday, the day after the basement flooding, I stayed home from work to help clean and assess the damage. Hubby decided he needed to tear out the remaining basement bedroom to get a better look at the foundation walls and see if there were any more cracks that needed to be plugged.

If you haven't seen the before pictures, both basement bedrooms were covered floor to ceiling in knotty pine. I guess back in the 50s and 60s people LOVED that stuff. Last year we tore out one of the rooms preparing for ourselves for the eventual remodel. I'm not sure why, but I was hanging onto the last room, not wanting it completely tear it out until we were actually ready to remodel. Regardless, when the walls are dank and stinky, it's officially time for the room to go.
Hubby started the demolition with the door and west facing wall, moved onto the north wall, then to the east. The last wall he removed was the south facing wall where the window was. This is where it gets weird. He was expecting a window opening similar to all the others in the basement. What he found was different. I'm not even sure how to describe it other than - at one point in time it wasn't a window. But we're not sure it was a door either. I don't think the picture below does it justice but we're pretty convinced that this is the cause of some of the basement water damage. Wood, water, and CMU, not a great combination.
As we tried to imagine why and how and why some former homeowner had created this patch for the wall, our neighbor Craig took a more creative approach. Convinced that the door must have been a gateway for evil leprechauns - he created this clever little image.
I can't believe I'm admitting this, but I think I'd rather have spiders in my basement over this guy. Creepy!

No comments: