7.14.2010

Backyard Brick

In the beginning there was dirt, weeds, overgrown bushes and Arborvitae.
I wanted a bigger patio and the patch of dirt to the south of our current back porch was the perfect space for an extension. The only problem was a big old tree root.
Solution: Stump Grinder. Not super inexpensive, but very quick and effective.
I found the bricks on craigslist and had them delivered. They were removed from an old historic building in Pioneer Square (that's the story anyway).
I borrowed a tamper, used hubby's level, and got some great how-to advice from several friends who had already done similar projects at their homes.

I worked in sections big enough for the level to measure. This method worked out pretty well. The hardest thing when laying brick, especially if it's old and uneven brick, is that it's never going to be perfectly level or straight. The best way to keep it from jiggling around too much (yes, I think that's a technical term) is by pouring silica sand between the cracks and sweeping the sand across the brick so that it distributes as evenly as possible.
I still need to find a way to secure the edges. Several people have suggested pressure treated boards and I think that's what I'll end up doing. In the meantime, it's a little loose around the edges, but for now, I think it looks great!

No comments: